Friday, July 27, 2012

Window conundrum


The problem with shopping for one windowis what do you do about the rest of them?  Our current windows are the original, wooden, double-hung windows.  They have what I believe is called a "dog ear" on the top sash.  Cute.  Not efficient. Some are painted shut. And sadly, several are in bad repair.  As this house was in foreclosure, quite a bit of maintenance had been deferredi.e., the house had been neglected.
 Leaky window

When I was confronted with the leaking kitchen window, I opted to remove the whole bump-outpresumably, the roof flashing was what was leaking.   

Since the sides of the house are stucco, we had to tear out the framing and make a new window surround (which will eventually hold the window).  Don is doing this part, since Lalo and I would have no idea where to start.  Though I guess that would be the demo part.  We seem to be good at that part. Nevertheless, leaving this to the pro.
 Big hole in the house!

But what kind of window do you get when you only are going to replace one?  Well, some of the windows are in rough shapeparticularly the southern-facing ones, due to all that beautiful California sunshine.  I figured I was a year or two away from replacing all or some of the windows.  If I had to buy one now, I'd better have a plan for the rest of the replacements.

I met with a couple of window replacement companies.  One of them was really good at his job.  And the next thing I knew, I was ordering all 19 windows and a sliding door.  What can I say? He made me an offer I couldn't refuse.  I'm looking forward to my new energy-efficient windows and trying not to think about the money.  The manufacturer is Anlin and they have a lifetime warranty (for the house's life, not mineyou're welcome, future owners!).

I’ll be sad to see the old divided lights go.  The mullions in vinyl replacement windows look so cheesy I opted out.  But in the long run, I feel like it's the most responsible choice. The best part? When I open a window, I won't have to worry about the sash falling apart anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment