Sunday, August 12, 2012

The road goes ever, ever on…


Our kitchen project continues to linger.  We started demo on June 9, 2012. Today is August 12 (still 2012, despite how long it feels)—nine weeks and a day.  Yesterday was a banner day.  We finally unpacked our boxes of dishes, pots and pans.   Yeah, some of those spices had expired. Buh-bye.

Mind you, I hadn't seen some of these things since we moved from Burbank.  We knew we'd be undertaking a kitchen reno, so we packed some of the items for long-term storage in the garage. Of course, by the time we unpacked, I was ready to let go of some of them. It's amazing what nine months can do for your perspective.  Also, I've been doing some shopping (presents for my kitchen) aand some of the old had to make way for the new.  So today we made a donation run and passed some treasures along to the next lucky owner.  

For those who have dined chez moi, you may remember the blue dishes I have had since I lived in New York (the pattern is called Mesa, and apparently there is a market for them on eBay).  Truth be told, they weren't even new when I got them, but were hand-me-downs from my dad and stepmom, Anna. A few years after that, I had a thrift-store miracle of sorts and found an assortment of that same pattern at St. Vincent de Paul. Fate.  But after eating off those dishes (off and on) for 30 years or so, it was time to say goodbye.  Maybe they'll complete someone else's set of Mesa. 

But back to the kitchen…yesterday was also our last day with Contractor Don.  We had some scope-creep and added his list of projects, so he ended up being with us longer than planned.  In addition to removing the load-bearing wall, doing the drywall and electrical, and repairing the stucco (to seal up the holes), he also installed the cabinets and generally consulted on all of our DIY stuff.  Hopefully I didn't annoy him with too many questions (ahem). Our dog, Diogy, will miss him indeedand not just because she consistently begged part of his lunch.  They’re buds. 

So now we're on our own, with a ways to go yet.  We were set to paint this week, until Lalo tweaked his shoulder playing hockey.  Probably not the best time to paint a ceiling. I certainly wasn't going to undertake it on my ownI paint trim on my own (frequently) but when it comes to walls you have to have a team to do it well.  I'm the cut-in pro, he's the roller.  And so, painting will wait until he's off the bench.

This is a big week, though: the counters are coming!  Don set us up with plywood counters so we have something to use in the meantime.  With the counters, we get our sink, at long last.   We've been using the laundry room sinkbetter than the bathtub, but no comparison to a real sink andsigha dishwasher. I don't know if this falls into the category of "first world problems," since I feel like we have been camping for over two months. At least I don't have to go outside to cook anymore. Now we have a fridge and stove indoors like the fancy city folk. 

The list goes something like this (the pros are only doing the first item, namely the counters):
  • Counters/sink
  • Plumbing
  • Paint
  • Lighting
  • Tile backsplash
  • Window treatment

So we're getting closer.  Of course, there are knock-on projects in all the surrounding room as a result of this one.  But I'll think about that tomorrow.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment